Sunday, April 5, 2009

Akumal--Last Day

It's blowing quite hard again today, good thing we went snorkeling yesterday, visibility won't be as good today. At dawn I went up to roof-top terrace to look at medow (or treeless area) just west of our building. I scanned the edges for quite a while. My patience was rewarded, albeit with a rather ordinary and less than exotic animal: a good-sized racoon. I sat at the edge of a small clearing in the mangrove, looking around, scratching and after at least two minutes slowly continuing its way. When I had seen the open areas earlier, I had wondered how to reach them. Observing the racoon, I realized that even if I would reached the meadows, I would probably have a hard time getting along: there was water surrunding the racoon and the early morning light revealed water in many other places.

I returned to Laguna Legartos after my jog. Saw a big flock of the little blue herons, three cormorans and a parrot in flight. I walked across a rock outcropping that I had thought to be a peninsula. Now I realize that it is almost a bridge connecting the SW side of the lagoon with the NE where I saw the continuation of the trail. There was short stretch that required a few steps of wading. I did no want to do this in my running shoes so I relented.

No comments:

Post a Comment