Sunday, July 15, 2012

Big Fork River--Conclusions

Some general thoughts about this trip.

Route Selection

Good overall. We should have started the trip at MN Hwy 1 instead of Bigfork, for a more leisurely pace. On the other hand, the distance between the camp sites we selected (by recommendation of Bill of Wild River Adventures) was good and the camp sites were hard to beat. One portage of a couple hundred meters at Little American Falls. It's marked as "steep bank" on the map but really, it's very easy, even with a couple of good-sized trees down across the trail.

Camp Sites

Good, muddy landings but nice, grassy and level tent sites with a picnic table and a fire box. Beware of poison ivy at Little American Falls, the place is crawling with it. Too bad, since this is a gorgeous site.

Water

Must be considered, especially in hot weather. No public access to drinking water between Bigfork and Johnson's Landing, that's 70 river miles (116 km). As I stated in my earlier entry, I was able to ask for water from a home owner along the river. It seems that more than half of the river runs along private property, many cabins and year-round homes. But if I had to do it again, I would not rely on finding a kind soul and would have my filter along.

Gear

New Tent: NEMO Espri 2P. I have to figure out how to use the DAC poles with the patent center connector. They seem to be bending inward. One time it worked, twice it did not. For one person and dog it is nice, for two it would be cramped. I like the built-in gear loft. Have not tried the big vestibule yet.

Solar Charger: GoalØ Nomad 7m and Guide 10. In one word: awesome! I have tried several chargers over the years and none worked satisfactorily. This package fits the bill. Will top off my Garmin Forerunner 305 used for 6 hours in less than an hour. Recharges a depleted Guide 10 battery pack (4 AA batteries) in 3-4 hrs, of course if the sun is out.

GPS Fitness Watch: I have been using my Garmin Forerunner 305 for years to track distance, estimate speed of progress and plot my route on a map once back home. It works great. During a heavy downpour on Day 3, my FR 350 took on water. Not just a misted glass, there was water inside. I still worked and I was able to dry the unit out once I returned home by letting it sit in the sun, using my GoalØ to recharge it at the same time. Maybe time for one of the newer waterproof units? I would love the FR 910xt, but it's just too expensive ...

Galyan Woodsman III: my own canoe. Reliable, turns well, lightweight yet sturdy. See my initial write-up here

Grumman G-17S: sturdy square stern canoe. Joe and his dad got it for free. Heavy as hell but a great canoe. Had a chance to paddle it during the long day, no complaints. Certainly more sluggish in tight situations when quick reactions are key but still very maneuverable.

Camera

Nikon Coolpix AW100: Essential to have at least one waterproof camera along for adventures like this. It performs very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment