Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fall 2010 Trip: Four Weeks Out

We are four weeks out. I just checked water levels for the upper St. Croix, they are just below OK whereas the levels for the Flambeau they are great as of yesterday, Sep 8. It looks like we are closing in on the Flambeau!

As we move closer, please consider the following:
  1. Meals: People self-selected for one of the slots, sorry Ben, you were late for Saturday morning.
  • Lunches, from your personal stash. I like to bring whole weat bread, cheese and sausage. Everyone as they like it.
  • Friday dinner: Christian will do his traditional first night steak dinner, i.e. BLT with steak instead of B. 
  • Saturday breakfast: Craig
  • Saturday dinner: David
  • Sunday breakfast: Joel
Paul and Ben will be assistant cooks. Dish duty is shared by those who are not involved in preparing the meal.

     2. Gear:
  • Canoes: Craig has one and I have one. Ben, David or Paul, do you have or can you organize a third canoe? If not, I'd suggest renting at the U of MN Rec Dept , they charge $35 for the initial three days. Best rate anywhere. One problem: they open at noon, we need to pick up on Thursday if we want to get an early start on Friday. As I mentioned before, I can easily haul two canoes. 
  • Canoe packs: I have enough for 2-3 people. I also find that cheap storage boxes from Target work quite well for a tame river trip. They are quite water proof in the event of rain. 
  • Tents: we've got 5+1 for sleeping, i.e. Craig insist on sleeping in splendid isolation because of his loud breathing. Seems we need two more tents. I have a snug three person and Joel has one, too. Ben, David or Paul, if you are insisting on your own, please let us know. Oh, and I am planning to bring my dog Mellie along. She's like the cat in Catch22, sleeps on your face and bites your nose off when you wake up from a suffocating nightmare (in fact she is a lamb and suffers the cold nights shivering silently except for her shattering teeth. Ask Joel).
  • Sleeping bags and pads. I assume everyone has this. If not, pipe up, I am sure we can come up with the necssary.
  • Kitchen: I think we've got it covered: Joel for the tripod grill, Christian two-burner Coleman stove and French press and Craig the dutch oven (yummm). Add to this list for any items you need to prepare your meals or you cannot do without
  • Living area: plan to bring your favorite camp chair. I'll bring a tarp, in case it rains (or snows).


No comments:

Post a Comment