Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Manigotagan River Trip 2: Quesnel Lake to Elbow Rapids, 5 km


View Manigotagan 1 in a larger map

James and I quickly and efficiently unloaded the gear. I turned around the car for Marilyn and she was on her way. At the boat launch, a guy was readying his fishing boat. He told me that he has a place on the lake. James and I made sure to stay out of his way.

Making sure nothing gets lost in case we swim ...

We loaded the canoe, decided on foot- and outer wear for this first short leg and hopped in for the 150 m or so to the first portage around the rapids emptying Quesnel Lake into the Manigotagan. While not as awe-inspiring as Wood Falls, these rapids did everything to instill us with a healthy respect for the river at or above flood stage.

The first rapids did everything to instill a healthy respect of the river

Like it would be the case with many of the other large falls and rapids on this trip, the portage would end within the turbulent current of the tailwater. During the first couple of times, loading the bouncing canoe as well as shoving into the stream seemed daunting but James and I got used to it rather quickly. At the end of this very first portage James wondered whether we wouldn't capsize when I headed straight for the frothing river's center.

Looking back at Duncan Rapids
 
Our next portage, around Duncan Rapids was green and soggy. Poison ivy in evidence everywhere. If I don't get a rash after this trip, I must be immune ...

We arrived on top of Elbow Rapids and made camp on the lovely spot river right. After the traditional first-night steak dinner James turned in. The s'mores we had been discussing could not entice him out of the tent.

Still light out at 22:30
After scoutig out Elbow Rapids for a possible run, I sat by the camp fire for some time, enjoying the long midsummer night dusk and the haunting voice of a veery. My attempts at catching fish did not pay. I went to bed between 22:30 and 23:00, with still some daylight left.

No comments:

Post a Comment