Sunday, August 2, 2009

Urban Fungi



Saw my neighbour Dave this morning, picking up something in his front yard. Told him I hoped it wasn't turds from my dog, he said it was toad stools (what toads sit on or turds of toads???) of some sort. Took a look, definitely something from the bolete family. Made Dave fish the ones he had picked earlier out of his garbage can, and headed home to look them up. More likely than not they are Boletinellus merulioides (also Gyrodon merulioides) Besides the description and the photo, it grows under ash trees. That's where it grew. Unfortunately not the best food mushroom but never the less edible. I will cook it with garlic. What I should really do is to grab my air rifle and get a couple of the young rabbits in my back yard and make a Hasenpfeffer mit Pilzen! That's what I would really call living off the land, especially if I prepare a little tomato salad as a side.

Update Aug 3, 2009: I did just finish my meal of Boletinellus. I have to agree with Roger Phillips' description: edible, but not very good. An aftertaste of mold that belies the nice aroma I smelled while cooking. Glad I did not spoil my Hasenpfeffer with these mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment